Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Grandpa Jones



My hero's have always been cowboys. 

Well sometimes they were just country boys, but you get my drift.

I was wandering around on my lunch walk today, wondering about stuff again.  As we have discussed before I tend to do this a lot.  Wondering about stuff while I wander around, walking off the pounds of one too many of M's excellent meatloaf suppers.  I have to say M is the best cook ever.  Sorry mama but it's true!  Just don't tell grandma, 'cause, well, just 'cause.

So anyhow, I was reminded by the reminder thing that exists in all of us.  You know the one. If you tried to remember such an event it would not come but some trigger goes rushing back and pulls out files long ago stored and keep for just such wondering occasions.  

One of my favorite shows from the old days was Hee Haw and a favorite skit from the show was when off camera cast members would ask Grandpa Jones, "Hey Grandpa, what's for supper?"

"Buttermilk Biscuits smothered in chicken gravy, home-fried potatoes, collard greens and Grandmother's fresh-baked blueberry pie a la mode!"  Then the entire cast would answer "YUM, YUM!"

A running gag was that the window he pretend to polish in this skit had no glass, and that Jones would slip his fingers through the empty panes. 

~sigh~

That's good eatin' right there!  But, alas, I have chosen to live on a higher plane now.  No more 'tatars and gravy for me.  M does do a great job now with the best tastiest healthy food on the planet!


Thanks M!

Just an observation...

Craig Glenn

4 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Sound like you are a country boy at heart. That would have been a good meal to have before the strawberries. :) I sincerely hope you have not offended Mama and Grandma? :)

Shadow said...

why is the good stuff bad for us is what i want to know....

Craver Vii said...

Do dine with pleasure is a great privilege. We do well not to take it for granted. Your M sounds like a real blessing.

Likewise, my own wife's cooking has superceded my mom's, so that when I say grace, I really, really mean it.

Dr Zibbs said...

I never liked Hee Haw when I was younger but now it's so campy that it's hysterical.