Monday, June 29, 2009

What movie would you like to see sir?




I know that I am not old in the grand scheme of things. “Old” seems to have a lot more to do with perspective than with facts or hard data on the subject. I will wait patiently, something that I acquired with time and by no means God given, God honed, or God infused, perhaps, but not natural to my good nature, but I will wait patiently for the inevitable comments to come about what a baby I am. In my brothers case of course I am an antiquity from the dark ages, but those comment have slowed down quite a bit since he crossed the forty something threshold. The point of this post is not however to quibble over how we define “old” but rather come to terms with the inevitable trap of age as it relates to time and perspective.

I will make it easy for you so there is no guessing involved. I was born on October 31 1962. That’s right; I was 2-3 years old before I knew my name wasn’t ‘Pumpkin’. Being born on Halloween had no other advantages that I have found. No, I am not embarrassed by it and yes the red-head has picked up on it. My brother, most of you know as Scooter, is six years younger than me. We have passed the lordy lordy forty barrier and I think we are both seeing life a lot differently than we did before. The down side of this new found wisdom is that ‘others’ see us differently too! Yea Scooter, I said ‘US’, deal with it!

This became blaringly obvious to me the last time Maureen and I took little Sara to see a movie. We waited in line until the 12 year old (what happened to child labor laws?) behind the bullet proof glass with her Brittney Spears headset on, called us forward. I took out my plastic money and said to the metal speaker, “two adults and one child, please”. I was immediately greeted with an expression only a teenage girl can make, you know the one, “DUH?”, and “which movie would you like to see sir?”. I looked at the red-head for conformation, what’s wrong with this girl, my shrug asked?, is she on drugs?...

Maureen just smiled to assure me I was having one of my time warp senior moments and looked at the child in the window and said, “Night at the museum”, as if that explained everything. WELL EXCUSE ME! Whose idea was it to put 32 movies in one building anyway?!? I know they have been around a while! I get it! What was I thinking?

~sigh~

Perhaps I was just remembering a simpler time. When the little girl behind the window didn’t call you sir and you watch the movie that was in town at the time. Change is good, I guess; keeping up is a bitch sometimes.

Just an observation…

Craig Glenn



22 comments:

scot said...

wow!! where the heck you get off calling me old!!

Also, where in the world did you get the old downtown theater picture. That placed closed down when I was a young whippersnapper.

So, it has been a while since you went to the movies. A LONG time. yes when we grew up in that small town in Georgia, we had two movie theaters and each showing only one movie. Even I, who despises going to the movies, knew that. I much prefer the Netflix option and watching in the comfort of my own home. This in itself maybe a sign of aging.

Now for the fact she called you Sir! You should be honored! How many times did we get backhanded for not saying Sir or Ma'am? With some of the teenage help now, you could have gotten a "What movie you want to see you old fart!" or they could have printed out tickets for all the movies and charged you $1000. For the latter, just give them a $20 as ask for change..they would have given you back a $5. But that is a whole new blog...

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

At least she didn't offer you the senior discount...

scot said...

LOL, I love it Lynne. Now that is going to make his day!!

the next time he eats at Denny's and gets the grey haired discount!!! ROFLMAO!!

BTW: OLDER Brother, I got carded the other night in the bar!!

Craig Glenn said...

Lynne,

NOW That's not funny!!!

ok, maybe a little, but Scot needs no encouragement! Trust me.

Thanks for stopping by,

Craig

Craig Glenn said...

Scooter,

Of course you got carded. There was an APB out on an elderly balding gentlement missing from the old folkes home.

Craig

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Well now I am going to add in my 5 cents worth, yes FIVE cents NOT 2 cents.

I have to agree with Lynne too but the trick is to age gracefully and with dignity. Now here is where the problem lies. I cannot speak for Scooter as I do not know him well enough but Craig, have you ever HEARD those two words before? So the next time you pass out on the restuarant floor or sit snoring in the movies, please try and remember them.

LOL!! LOL!!

Craig Glenn said...

I am not quite sure what she meant by that, but I think I was just insulted!

Well I never!!

;)

Craig

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I NEVER insult people, just sometimes say things which are less than complimentary. LOL!!

scot said...

Well, I can say neither my brother nor I have aged gracefully. my hair decided to leave me around 24 years old. What few Craig has left decided to change gray.

I will never forget the time I came to the realization that my brother was getting old. All of our lives we have tormented each other. Trading punches, hiding in dark corner and scaring the heck out of each other, etc...
I was home from the navy one weekend. Feeling kinda brave as I was now a sailor and felt I could easily take my big bro. I grabbed him in a big bear hug and was about to slam him into the ground. But I was stopped, not by our mother, but by his sudden scream "STOP!! Don't hurt my back"

~sigh, so ever since then I have had to resort to just calling him old...

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love that story Scooter. I think we do not realize how old we are until our kids are the same age we think we are. LOL!!

Okay, that probably sounds complicated, especially for Craigs old brain so let me explain .... I never felt older but when it came to my sons birthday and I said "wow he is 20/25/28 today" that is wehen I realized I must be old although I have never got past 35 myself. :) Naturally he was very rude about the whole thing too and kept on calling me "fossil" for some reason. LOL!!

Brian Miller said...

lol. thanks for the laugh this morning. at least you got to see a good flick. congrats on the POTD mention!

Moannie said...

Last time I went to the movies with youngest daughter she was 41 at the time I thought I was looking pretty good, so it was quite a shock [apparantly my face spoke volumes causing the people behind us to laugh out loud] when the 12 yearold in the booth offered 'and a senior citizen discount?'.
I'm so with you on the differences between then and now. One cinema, two movies, an A and a B, a short and a Newsreel, all for 1/6d.

ellen abbott said...

Boy, ain't that the livin' truth.

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks Brian!

I hope you find your way back again and yes the movie was great!

Craig

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks Moannie!

LOL, back in the good ole days right?

Craig

Craig Glenn said...

Thanks for the visit Ellen, and yes it is the truth of life!

Craig

Grace Albaugh said...

Well I was born in 1960 and we also had a one movie theater in my small MN town, but I have to say I've kept up just fine with the changes. I think you just need to get on the ball here Craig.
With age is supposed to come wisdom. Right?
Glad I found you today. Good read.

Craig Glenn said...

Why is everyone pickin' on me!

LOL

Thanks for the visit and ummmm, kind comment. I am glad you found your way here as well.

Craig

secret agent woman said...

Aww, you're just a baby! (Well, okay, so you're a month younger than me.)

Personally, I'm thankful there are more movie choices now.

Thanks for the visit.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Congrats on the Post of the Day mention! Great post!

Shirley Wells said...

Born in 1962? You're just a kid!

The two things I dislike about getting old: 1) Being reminded that my daughter is 26 when, um, I mentally assume I'm 26 and 2) Scrolling down - way, way down - those confounded drop-down bars on internet forms hunting for my year of birth.

Debbie said...

I am 5 months older than you and I feel your pain. How did all this change happen so fast? I am really having a hard time keeping up.
And aren't those tiny movie auditoriums funny? I remember the good old days...