Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What was he thinking…

A new low in not thinking…

This is a hard post for me. I was actually physically sickened when I read this story and thought long and hard about sharing it with you. Mostly I just didn’t want to write it. The act of processing thought into words somehow makes it more real. I have read stories like this in the past and then just move on, trying to get it out of my head. However, the purpose of this blog is to share my observations on life as it unfolds before my eyes, to share my world through the filter of my own experiences and understanding. In this case, it will refer to my lack of understanding.

In Twin Falls, Idaho, Robert Aragon was taking his kids to their mothers house in his truck. According to officials the temperatures range from 27 degrees above zero to minus 5 Fahrenheit. It’s Christmas day. Aragon’s truck got caught in the snow. They are 10 miles from the mother’s home. This father sent his 11 year old daughter and her 12 year old brother out in the snow to walk the rest of the way while he and a friend tried to free the truck.

He never went to check on the children, nor did he call to check and see if they made there safely. They found the boy at a rest stop in his long underwear having discarded his jacket, shoes, and pants. He was delusional from hypothermia. He had walked 4.5 miles in knee deep snow.

Search dogs located the little girls body 2.7 miles from were she set out. She was wearing a brown down coat, black shirt, pink pajama pants and tan snow boots.

~tears~

I don’t understand people sometimes. Learn more about this story at msnbc.com.

Just an observation…
Craig

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he wasn't thinking. Must have been under the influence.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A heartbreaking story!! I sometimes dont understand people!! Do you wonder why I prefer animals to humans?? Thanks for sharing.

The Muse said...

my heart breaks...what a loss!