Monday, December 8, 2008

Truant Daughter: Mom in Jail…

I just couldn’t resist commenting on this story from the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/lifestyle/momsatwork/sfl-1207truantdaughter,0,1487185.story

The bottom line is that the mom was put in jail because the child missed too many days of school. I certainly don’t pretend to know the circumstances of this arrest, but I have to ask myself, are we not empowering the child here? Let’s take the mom’s side here for a second. Obviously, the child is in a rebellious state of mind. Let’s assume that the mom did all the right things; did her best. The child just refuses to go. Now we put her in jail? I don’t get it. Why?

If she had physically forced the child to comply, would she not be put in jail for that as well? Why would the child not be put in juvenile detention? Trust me; I am all in with the argument that parents most often do enough or even do the right thing. Was this mom was counseled with options for making her child comply? What are our legal options to force a child to do something?

I fully understand sending parents to jail for abusing their kids. But, there is only so much power we have as parents. There are some things you just can’t make them do. So now the child has even more power. I will show you, not only will I not go to school, you will go to jail!

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Just an observation…
Craig

3 comments:

scot said...

Well, like you said, there is not much to go on from the article. I'm going to play the opposite side on this one.

Let's say the mom did all the right things raising the child. Did it all go away one day? I would say no. I'm thinking this is just a symptom from years of neglect. By neglect, I mean lack of discipline. How many times have I heard spanking is child abuse and harms the child's self esteem.
Well, if that is true, then lock up my parents and get me a shrink.

But let me tell you one thing. Because I was spanked, by both parents, I thought twice and sometimes three times before stepping out of line.

As parents we do have to be the heavy hand sometimes. It's not easy, but I think it makes a difference.

Now with all that said, pray for our children that they will make the right choices in life.

The Muse said...

I agree 2 sides to each story...but upon my first read, I did agree with you, due to what I have seen most recently....rebellion, and parents at a complete loss...good parents...parents who gave it their all...

SIGH, truly a no win situation.

The Muse said...

http://adivashammer.blogspot.com/2008/12/unexpected.html

I am giving your blog an award because it has meant so much to me :)

If you choose not to display your award that is ok, however I did want you to know that reading your blog has given me joy!